Pottery production in Freiwaldau started to develop already in 18th century. Pottery workshops were created here because of available clay deposits and wood. Local potters based their performance on established pottery centers in Bunzlau (Polish Bolesławiec) and Naumburg (Polish Nowogrodziec).
A porcelain factory was established in Freiwaldau (Polish Gozdnica) in 1841 by Gottfried Herkner. He earlier owned a pottery shop in Freiwaldau.
Raw materials, except Germany, were imported from Bohemia and Sweden. The factory produced tableware but also sink, potties, ashtrays and advertising gadgets.
In 1886 the factory was destroyed by fire. Hugo Schmidt rebuilt it. In the beggining of 20th century the business was taken over by Hugo Schmidt junior. Financial turbulence after the end of WWI led to bankruptcy. The company was taken over by Bing, Glas & Keramik KG Nürnberg.
In the beggining of 1930s already inoperative firm was bought by Schlesische Steinzeugwerke, which produced stoneware pipes. The production was definitely stopped in 1945.
First owner of the Freiwaldauer Porzellan Manufaktur in years 1841 - 1854 was Gottfried Herkner. Next ownerd were Biemelt & Co. (ca. 1854 - ca. 1857), O. Bloch (ca. 1857 - ca. 1865), Carl Rädisch (ca. 1865 - ca. 1868), August Rädisch (ca. 1868 - 1872), Tiefenfurther Porzellan- und Chamottewaren-Fabriken, AG (1872 - 1876), Freiwaldauer Porzellanfabrik Rädisch, Sturm & Co. (1876 - 1882), Freiwaldauer Porzellanfabrik Schmidt & Otremba (1882 - 1888), H. Schmidt Porzellanfabrik Freiwaldau (1888 - 1923), Bing, Glas & Keramik KG Nürnberg, Abt. Porzellanfabrik Freiwaldau (1923 - 1929), Porzellanfabrik Freiwaldau Robert Tietz (1929 - 1931) and Schlesische Steinzeugwerke (1931 - 1945).