The pottery was established by Isidor Faist in 1820. Production was started in the Schramberg castle under the name Faist'sche Steingutfabrik. In 1829 Faist persuaded the Baron Ferdinand von Uechtritz to join him as partner. Steingut- und Majolikafabrik Uechtritz & Faist built a new factory increasing output. The company in the beggining of 1880s started to produce more and more for Villeroy & Boch. Finally in 1883 V&B bought the Schramberg pottery. The company continued operation as a Villeroy & Boch subsidiary.
In 1912 the factory was bought by Moritz and Leopold Meyer. They introduced the SMF mark. The firm was named Schramberger Majolikafabrik and in 1918 changed into a limited liability company (G.m.b.H.). The brothers persuaded many artists to design for them. The most famous have become designs by the Hungarian Eva Zeisel, which were produced in 1930s.
As Meyer brothers were Jewish, they had to sell the business and emigrate to England in 1938. In 1949 Peter Meyer, son of Moritz returned to Germany and took over the factory. He died in 1980. After his death the factory declined and in 1989 was finally closed.
No exact date known. "SMF" on a shield mark was used in different forms in 1918 - 1989 period.