The porcelain factory in Sorau (now Polish Żary) was established by Gustav Otremba in 1888. It started production
in the buildings of the former nails factory as Gustav Otremba Porzellanfabrik Sorau N.L. A year later the company joined Franz Böhme. In 1892 Böhme bought Otremba's stake and became the only owner. In 1901 the factory was transformed into a limited liability company (Porzellanfabrik Sorau G.m.b.H.) and a new owner was Fritz, son of Franz.
The WWI wasn't a good time for the entire porcelain industry. Most of qualified workers were mobilized, some of foreign markets lost and internal market shrunk. In 1918 the Sorau factory bought a merchant, Gotthard Curtius. Just months later the company was overtaken by Christian & Ernst Carstens consortium. The factory was renamed to C. & E. Carstens Porzellanfabrik Sorau N.L. Ernst Carstens died in 1923 but his heirs continue to run the company.
The Sorau factory strenghtened its position thanks to exporting to other European countries and North America. In 1930s number of employees increased to 400.
During the WWII the Sorau porcelain factory continued production despite war restrictions. The factory was destroyed in February 1945.
Export Sorau Carstens mark, which was in use in the 1925 - 1940 period.
MADE IN GERMANY