The Royal Sphinx factory was established by Petrus Regout in 1834. It was located in Maastricht, Holland. First, he started a glass factory. Two years later production of pottery began. Pottery production was initially concentrated on so called faience commune - simple pottery for a local market.
Production gradually was adapted to higher standards thanks to hired British specialists to compete with popular British creamware. Petrus sons were incorporated to management of the company. The company name was then changed to Petrus Regout & Co.
In 1879 the image of the sphinx started to be used as a company mark and logo. Since 1899 the company was called De Sphinx. In 1958 the company merged with Société Ceramique and changed name to N.V. Sphinx-Céramique. Since 1960 thanks to a royal decision, a name was changed into Royal Sphinx. In 1994 the company was overtaken by Swedish firm Gustavsberg and the name changed to NV Koninklijke Sphinx Gustavsberg.
In 1997 a tile division was separated to be an independent company. It went bankrupt in 2008. The Sphinx itself was bought in 1999 by the Finnish Sanitec. In 2010 the Maastricht plant was closed down and production moved to Swedish Sanitec plant.
1960s Royal Sphinx mark
It was oficially registered as a trademark in 1966. The trademark expired in 1987.
ROYAL SPHINX P REGOUT MAASTRICHT MADE IN HOLLAND
Even after the name change, Regout 'R' remained in the mark of De Sphinx, circa 1904 - 1910.