Merkelbach Manufaktur was established in 1843. The founder was Wilhelm Merkelbach whose family pottery traditions had dated bach to 17th century. The pottery was developed by his son Reinhold Merkelbach. Under his supervision the factory employeed already up to 50 workers. After his death the Merkelbach Manufaktur was managed by widow Toska Merkelbach and in 1907 it was overtook by sons Paul and Reinhold Merkelbach. Their rules were in Art Nouveau period when this manufactory was known for working with the best designers and excellent quality.
Sons of Toska Merkelbach died in the WWI. She had to manage the company again in order to save manufactory for her grndson Reinhold Paul Bernhard Merkelbach born just born in 1918. Toska and her daughter-in-law decided in 1924 to hire Carl Jung as manager. Professor Reinhold Paul Bernhard Merkelbach took over a factory in 1957. He was a scientist and the factory was run by managers.
In 1971 50 percent of the company was bought by W. Goebel AG. The factory was supported by Goebel specialists what let it increase profits. 1980s were however a crisis period for ceramics producers. In 1985 Goebel overtook remaining 50 percent of the downsized company.
In 1988 Merkelbach family and a collector and some workers repurchased the factory. Production had to be stopped around 2007 when it became clear that further production of ceramics in Germany is no longer a viable option. Best selling molds were transferred to Töpferei Girmscheid Höhr-Grenzhausen.
The DBWBG approval mark of the "Dürerbund Werkbund Genossenschaft" trade association. This alliance between the Dürer Society and the German Work Federation was active circa in the 1914 - 1925 period.