A+ A A-
RSS

Second half of the 16th century is a time of increase in majolica production in Italy and Spain. Majolica is a tin glazed earthenware. Italian and Spanish earthenware soon began to be imitated by potters from Netherlands. Moreover in the beggining of the 17th century these Dutch potters were met with chinese porcelain competition. The effect of the situation was creation of delftware. Potters in Netgerlands used the tin-glaze technique to imitate Chinese porcelain.

The center of the delftware production became Delft. The city gained in importance after fall of Antwerp, the largest Dutch city as well as cultural, economic and financial centre of Netherlands. In 1585 potters fleeing from Antwerp settled in Delft.

In 17th and 18th century Delft was a capital of European ceramics production. In 1710 in German Meissen began history of European porcelain, which also started to be produced in Netherlands. In 1840 there was only one delftsware company left - De Porceleyne Fles. Popularity od delftware returned in the second half of 19th century.

Here you can find clues how to date De Porceleyne Fles items.

RAAM mark
Detail

In 1945 production in famous RAM Arnhem factory was stopped. At the same time was founded RAAM Delfter Faience. The new manufacture took over RAM moulds as well as employees. RAAM delfts blauw is known for its quality that can be compared to items made by Porceleyne Fles.

RAAM Delfter Faience traditional fully handpainted production proved to be too expansove. Finally, in the early 80. the factory was closed.

N.V. Plateelbakkerij RAM mark
Detail

N.V. Plateelbakkerij Ram (Arnhem)

The factory produced in the 1935 - 1945 period.

Royal Goedewaagen 1912 mark
Detail

Royal Goedewaagen mark on the 1912 vase.

OUD Delft handpainted mark
Detail

Roeof Elshout established the Oud Delft factory in 1920 in Nijmegen. In 1996 the factory moved to Waddinxveen. This handpainted version of the mark was used in the 1940 - 1968 period.

Sygnatura OUD Delft
Detail

OUD Delft mark after 1968.

 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery