J. W. Beswick pottery was founded in 1894 by James Wright Beswick and his sons John and Gilbert. The factory was located in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Originally, the manufactory produced tableware and ornamental items, but later became known for its porcelain figurines and gift items.
J.W. Beswick died in 1921 and further expansion was led by his grandson, John Ewart Beswick. In 1936, the pottery became a limited company, John Beswick Ltd. In 1969, the factory was sold to Doulton & Co. Ltd (Royal Doulton), and in 2002 it was finally closed. The Beswick mark was abandoned in 1989 in favour of the Royal Doulton Royal Albert marks. Nine years later, the Beatrix Potter products range was reintroduced. The John Beswick brand was sold in 2004 along with products design rights.
Porcelain figurines of race horses and champion dogs were produced since 1934. Farm animals figurines were produced since 1939. Another important addition to the products line was the inclusion of Beatrix Potter earthenware figurines in the late 1940s and some Disney figurines since 1952. Considered the rarest of all Beswick models is the Spirit of Whitfield, a 1987 design by Graham Tongue.
Beatrix Potter's Jemima Puddleduck, F. Warne & Co, Ltd. Copyright Beswick England 1973 - 1974 mark