Cmielow is the oldest still operating Polish porcelain factory. The history starts in 1790, when a few local potters joined their forces and created a workshop. The date 1790 is controversial and some researchers claim that faience production started in Cmielow in the beggining of 19th century. They claim that the factory establishment was initiated by Chancellor of the Crown Jacek Małachowski.
Jacek Małachowski was also the reason of Cmielow commercial success. In 1810 he gave Cmielow products to several high ranking officials in Duchy of Warsaw, Polish state created by Napoleon. Cmielow ceramics from that period imitated Isiah Wedgwood works.
Małachowski died in 1821. A few next years were difficult for the factory because of multiple owners and management changes. Situation stabilized in 1830s. In 1840s Gabriel Weiss of Czech nationality started porcelain production in Cmielow. It swiftly gained on quality.
New Rococo Revival style patterns were introduced in 1840s and 1850s. Second half of this century was a golden era of Cmielow. Porcelain gained the highest quality. The company started also porcelain figurines production.
The best period in the history od Cmielow came in 1920s and 1930s. The factory designers created real Art Deco masterpieces. One of them was a tepot set "Kula" (sphere) designed by Bogdan Wendorf.
After WWII the factory was nationalized. In 1950s and 1960s Cmielow became a center of a modern design.
Merged Cmielow and Chodziez factories are now the biggest European thin-walled porcelain producers.
220th Cmielow anniversary mark.
Mark used in 2010.
Jubileusz Zakładów Porcelany
1888 - 1920 Cmielow mark.
The factory was owned in this period by Drucki-Lubecki family.