The manufactory was founded in 1718 as the second oldest European hard-paste porcelain producer. Since the very beggining porcelain has been hand made and handpainted. The privilege to form the Vienna Porcelain Manufactory was issued to Claudius Innocentius du Paquier. He received the monopoly to produce porcelain within the Austrian crown lands. The oldest late baroque Augarten porcelain is known as du Paquier period.
In 1744 they started using the blue shield from the coat of arms of the Dukes of Austria as their mark. This year began the Rococo period for the factory. Beggining in 1780 along with the direction of Conrad Sörgel von Sorgenthal, the manufactory entered the classicism.
Napoleonic wars brought the manufactory to the brink of existence. The revival came to Augarten in 1815 after the Vienna Congress at the beginning of the 19th century. Along with rise of the aspiring Biedermeier bourgeoisie, the Vienna factory entered the delicate flower decorations period.
The industralisation brought growing competition from factories mass producing porcelain items. Finally factory was closed in 1864 due to financial problems. The porcelain of the original Vienna manufactory is often referred to as Alt Wien ("Old Vienna").
The new Viennese porcelain manufactory Augarten was established in 1923. New figurines and other porcelain pieces were designed in the style of Wiener Werkstätte and Art Déco. After Second World War floral patterns were replaced by modern patterns as geometric designes by Ursula Klasmann.