The Höchster Porzellan-Manufaktur was founded in 1746 on the basis of the privilege granted by the Elector of Mainz, Johann Carl von Ostein. It was established by Johann Christoph Göltz and Adam Friedrich von Löwenfinck. The privilege awarded the firm a monopoly of porcelain production on the territory ruled by Prince Bishops of Mainz. The manufactory was the second-oldest porcelain manufactory in Germany. As the mark of the factory was chosen the Mainz wheel.
Initially the factory produced only faience but after 4 years in 1750 was fired first porcelain. In 1749 Löwenfinck was forced by Göltz to leave the factory. Already in 1756 the firm went bankrupt. Assets were taken over by Johann Heinrich Maas
Two artists impacted Höchst porcelain production. Laurentius Russinger worked as a senior modeller under Maas management and Johann Peter Melchior who worked there since 1768.
In 1765 the company was transformed into a stock corporation. In the next years owners and managers were changing a few times. Official dissolution of the the Höchster Porzellan-Manufaktur took place in 1796. Production was stopped already in 1792/93. It was caused mostly by the turmoil because of the French Revolution as well as the siege and occupation of Mainz.
In 1947 the the Höchst company was revived with a production facility located in Frankfurt-Sossenheim. In 1963 the company was again closed but two years later production was resumed.
In 2009, the Höchst factory took over the production of the Hummel figurines. In 2018 another bankruptcy took place and another private investor restarted production.