In 1827, Johann Friedrich Ferdinand Schumann established a porcelain factory in a Kehnert manor located near Tangerhütte. Five years later he bought a land in Moabit, Berlin's suburb. In 1834 he started production in the new manufactory. Apart from producing own porcelain, Schumann's factory also painted whiteware bought from another Berlin porcelain factory, KPM.
The factory fast became known to produce high quality artistic porcelain but also offering affordable prices. In 1835 the business was taken over by founder's son Friedrich Adolph Schumann who run it till 1851. Starting from 1841 the factory operated as Porzellan-Manufaktur von F. A. Schumann & Sohn.
During the Berlin trade exhibition in 1844 Schumann's factory was awarded a gold medal. Their products were compared to royal manufactories. Difficulties started to arise because of the 1848 revolution as well as growing competition from other factories.
Around 1868 the factory was bought by Erhard Appelhans and H.O.A. Zepernick. In 1872 they transferred it into a joint stock company and changed the name into Berliner Porzellan-Manufaktur AG. Until suspending the production in 1880 it was run by director Max Ludloff.
Max Ludloff founded his own porcelain factory Berliner Porzellan-Manufaktur M. Ludloff & Co. in 1880, using assets of the bankrupt company. He run it until 1888. One year later it was finally closed.