The oldest Gotha porcelain manufacture (Porzellanfabrik von Rotberg) was established in 1757 by Wilhelm von Rotberg. First it produced quite rough porcelain. The factory In 1772 Rotberg got three talented artists on board: Christian Schulz, J.G. Gabel and Johann Adam Brehm. The quality of the items significantly improved.
In 1782 the factory was leased to a consortium of workers led by Christian Schulz (Porzellanfabrik Schulz & Co.).
In 1802, six years after Rotberg died, the factory was sold to the Prince August von Sachsen-Gotha. The prince chose Friedrich Egidius Henneberg as a supervisor. In 1804 he became a proprietor (Porzellanfabrik Henneberg). In 1807 the company was joined by his son Johann Christoph Henneberg (Henneberg & Co.). Egidius Henneberg managed it till his death in 1834. The factory was run by Johann Christoph Henneberg till 1860. His successor August Henneberg run it until 1883.
In 1883 the factory was sold to Simson brothers (Porzellanfabrik Gebrüder Simson). New owners were Jewish. The production was stopped in 1937 due to antisemitic Nazi regulations.