The history of porcelain manufacturing in German Thuringia started in 1762. This year Georg Heinrich Macheleid approached the Prince of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. He was granted the exclusive privilege to build a porcelain factory. In 1767 it was leased to Christian Nun. In 1797 the manufactory was purchased by prince Ernst Constantin von Hessen-Philippsthal. Two years later Wilhelm Greiner and Karl Holzapfel bought the factory.
At the end of the 18th century the manufacture was already known throughout Europe and among others products offered 95 different types of figurines. The Volkstedt factory is the best known for its lace figurines that started to be produced by the mid-nineteenth century.
In 1832 the factory lost its exclusive privilege. Other porcelain manufacturers appeared in Volkstedt and nearby region. Next changes of ownership were: 1815-60 Greiner, Stauch & Co., 1861-75 Macheleid, Triebner & Co.
In 1899, the factory became a stock company. The name was changed to Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanfabrik AG. After the WWII, the manufactory was transferred to the VEB Zierporzellanwerke Lichte as the VEB Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanmanufaktur. Now it is a part of the Seltmann Weiden group.
The crossed pitchforks were the factory mark from 1760. Around 1800 was added "R" as Rudolstadt. Later, in the 19th century a mark was single pitchfork with sun. At the beginning of the 20th century the mark were "FG" letters with crown. Latest mark are "AeV" letters with crown.