Porzellanfabrik Rudolstadt Straus & Söhne A.G. was established in 1882 but it's roots date back to 1869 when Lazarus Straus & Sons company was founded. This glass and ceramic import and trade business was growing fast. Already in 1874 Lazarus's son, Nathan, started co-operation with R.H. Macy company creating own departments in their shops.
Lazarus Straus & Sons carried out operations in several European countries: England, Austria, Czechoslovakia, France and Germany. In 1882 they started US subsidiary New York and Rudolstadt Pottery Co. Inc.
Porzellanfabrik Rudolstadt Straus & Söhne A.G. was taken over by Nathan Strauss and renamed to Nathan Straus & Co. In 1930 the factory was finally closed.