The firm was established in Rehau in 1880 by Johann Nicol Adam Zeh. His partners were Johann Michael Scherzer junior, Georg Adam Winterling, Johann Nicol Jacob junior, Johann Andreas Karl Wolfel and Johann Paulus Hertel.
In 1908 the company opened own art department. In 1910 it was transformed into a limited company (Porzellanfabrik Zeh, Scherzer & Co. A.G.). It exported over 70 percent of production to United States. Quality of Zeh Scherzer products was compared to Rosenthal or Hutschenreuther.
In 1924 the company bought Porzellanfabrik Elster located in Mühlhausen in Saxony and owned it till 1935.
In 1992 the company stopped production of porcelain.