The factory was established by Johann Wolfgang Hammann from Katzhütte. First he requested a concession grant for porcelain manufacturing at the royal court of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. He was denied but finally opened his business in Katzhütte.
A year later Johann Wolfgang Hammann bought the manor in Wallendorf located in the territory of the duchy of Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld. Wallendorf porcelain manufactory has been operating since 1764. Porcelain Manufactory Wallendorf was founded jointly by Wolfgang Hammann and his son, the glass painter Gottfried Greiner and his cousin Gotthelf Greiner.
First the factory used local raw materials, what caused that produced porcelain was unclean. In 1780 they started using Bohemian kaolin.
The manufactory was owned by the Hamann’s family until 1833. After this date owners were changing quite often: Johann Heinrich Hutschenreuther, Kämpf & Heubach JSC, Fraureuth Porcelain Factory and Schaubachkunst.
In 1953 the Wallendorf factory was nationalized by East Germany government. Since 1990 it operates as limited liability company.