The manufactory in Herend was established by Vince Stingl in 1826. At first it produced stoneware. In 1839 this situated near lake Balaton factory was bought by Mór Fischer. This year they started manufacturing porcelain. Herend won a golden medal at the first World Exhibition in London in 1851. Next exhibitions became important for Herend factory as a venue to present new product lines. In 1872 Emperor Francis Joseph made the manufactory oficially the Supplier to the Imperial and Royal Court. In 1874 Mór Farkasházi Fischer retired, the management of the factory was taken over by his sons. They deemed exclusivity less important what wasn't good for the business. The factory filed soon for bankruptcy. In 1884 Herend Porcelain Works Co. took over management of the restructered company. The company was nationalized in 1948. In 1992 the factory became again a share-holding company. Employees took 75 per cent of shares.
Since 1990 Herend marks have had date codes, as seen below (K91 - November 1991), incorporated in it.
Month codes are: