Stoneware clay seams in the basin of the Bóbr and Kwisa were already known in the twelfth century.Stoneware clay seams in the basin of the Bóbr and Kwisa were already known in the twelfth century.
It is known that already in the 16th century on Piaskowa Street there was a pottery workshop producing covered with colored glaze ceramic vessels, figurines and tiles. Medieval pottery guild limited number of workshops operating in the city to five. The original Bunzlau (Boleslawiec) style of ceramics appeared for the first time in the 18th century. Brown glazed pitchers and mugs were covered with white overlays featuring plants, animals and biblical scenes.
After the abolition in 1762 of guild restrictions, increased the number of workshops. In the 19th century in Boleslawiec they were already 15.
In this century under the influence of changing fashion and technological improvements introduced by Johann Gottlieb Altmann, potters started producing white and cream vessels decorated with hand-stamped stamps (so-called stamping ceramics). The best known companies of this period are Reinhold & Co., Julius Paul & Sohn and Werner & Co.
The so-called German Bunzlauer Keramik was produced until 1945. This tradition was continued in Germany in the so-called Fredersloh potter's village in Moringen.
After World War II Bunzlau (Boleslawiec) has been within Polish borders.
Basing on the assets of the pre-war factories, Polish companies began to operate, continuing the Bolesławiec tradition. Bolesławiec Pottery-Ceramic Works (Bolesławieckie Zakłady Garncarsko-Ceramiczne) in 1964 became part of the Boleslawiec Ceramic Works of the Field Industry (Bolesławieckie Zakłady Ceramiczne Przemysłu Terenowego. Since 1980, separate the "BOLESŁAWIEC" Ceramic Works (Zakłady Ceramiczne "BOLESŁAWIEC") have been operating.
Special contributions to starting the post-war production were made by Cracow ceramics artist Tadeusz Szafran. Since 1964 Bronisław Wolanin, art director of the firm, had a great influence on the development of ceramics in the city.
"BOLESŁAWIEC" Ceramic Works (Zakłady Ceramiczne "BOLESŁAWIEC") mark used since 1980.